Tuesday, December 5, 2006

My Journey Continues

When I got home from our friends home it was already late at night. But I did flip through the book and started reading "Fasting and Eating for Health" the following day. I finished the book and just knew that this was my answer to all my health problems.

I immediately got on the internet and did a search for Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I wanted to find out more about this guy and what else he might have to offer. Well low and behold, he has a webite! How awesome is that! And on top of that he also has some recipes. And then to top it all off I can be a member and ask him questions and he also has a forum for members to encourage each other on this journey and also to ask each other questions and share what is working for them and what isn't. I just couldn't believe that this went way beyond a book. So much support was available and so I joined the memebership. And then, after signing up I found that he has supplements you can buy and some food products too along with some other books he has written. Wow, I just couldn't believe all this. I was just so encouraged by finding Dr. Fuhrman's website.

So I joined up and asked the doctor a question about fasting. I wanted to fast right away. No time to loose! Well it just doesn't quite work that way. I have been a SAD (Standard American Diet) eater all my life. In my mind though I thought I was eating pretty healthy because I avoided trans fats, I ate whole grain breads, I went from 2% milk to skim, I used smart balance margarine instead of butter or trans fat margarines, I chose low fat cuts of meat and cheese. So in my mind I was eating healthy and I was ready to fast.

Well not so fast Lana. Dr. Fuhrman said I needed to be on the diet for at least 3 months so that I would be healthy going into the fast and so that you avoid going through so much detox symtoms while fasting. You still might have some symptoms of detox but they won't be as severe. So at first that was disappointing because I didn't want to wait, I wanted to fast! But the time went by quickly. I am eating so healthy it makes me feel good all under to think about the changes in my diet.

Was it easy to transition from SAD to E2L? NO, no, no!!! It was horrible. I tell you this in all honesty so that if you decide to do this you'll be prepared. It was so difficult for me. First of all I am doing this for health reasons so that brings its own challenges to the forefront. Let me digress here so that the reader will understand emotionally what I was going through when I decided to make this drastic change in my diet, to my life.
I am 52 years young! ;-) Two years ago when I was 50 I was experiencing some weird symptoms. I was loosing weight so easily which wasn't normal for me. I wasn't sleeping at night. I have trouble sleeping already because of the fibromyalgia but this was different. I tried taking benedryl and it helped but my primary care physican, Dr. S said for me not to take it so I quit. I also had some other symptoms too. I had palpitations already which they say is a symptom of fibromyalgia but the palpitations had increased, I was going through menopause at this time, so I had horrible hot flashes, I was really nervous, like I just drank 10 cups of coffee. I was also so tired all the time which is normal if you have fibromyalgia. So it was as if all the symptoms of fibromyalgia increased in intensity.

Well its getting late and I'm getting tired so I'll continue this again hopefully tomorrow. See you then! :-)

Challenge Day 5
Another kale day!

I wasn't feeling well this morning. It feels like a cold or some kind of virus is trying to make my life miserable. So I made a vegetable soup just in case so that I would have something to eat for a few days if I don't feel like cooking.

Today's menu
B- oatmeal with flax and blueberries
L- vegetable soup
D- vegetable soup
Ds- pineapple banana sorbet with pecans

My Tab is still $0.00

No comments: