Sunday, February 25, 2007

Vegetarian Chile

When I was eating SAD I use to eat chile allot. I found that this recipe is really close to the one I use to make in taste. And with the TVP added, you really feel like you are eating ground hamburger meat. The only caution is that TVP is considered 'junk food' by Dr. Fuhrman. It is a highly processed food with little nutrition so don't use it often if you can help it. I'm sure this would taste great without the TVP. When I was just beginning with E2L, I made this recipe allot. You can find this recipe at diseaseproof.com.

Vegetarian Chile

2 cups dry kidney or pinto beans
1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes (I use diced)
2 cups red onion
2 cups chopped green or red or combo peppers
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup celery
1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
4 cloved garlic minced
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp raisins or dates diced

Wash beans and soak overnight in water. Drain and add 6 cups water and simmer for 2 hours until soft. Pour off water or you can use a 15 oz can of pinto or kidney beans instead. (I use 1 can of kidney beans and 1 can of pinto or red beans). Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan and simmer for 1 hour. (There isn't water in the recipe but you do need water for the TVP. I start with 2 cups and add more if needed so you'll need to keep an eye on this while simmering). This can be poured over chopped lettuce or steamed green vegetables such as spinach or kale, or eaten by itself. You also may want to test the spices. I added more of all the spices. :-) Enjoy!

No comments: