Sunday, December 17, 2006

More benefits of Eating To Live

Saturday was a Kale day. Let me see if I can remember what I had.

B-Blended salad smoothie

L-None

S-Golden Austrian Califlower Soup over green leaf lettuce with steamed broccoli on top

D-Banana Oat bar

Carry over balance - $4.00

Exercise 30 minutes 1.00

Exercise + Kale .50Tab

Tab = $2.50

Today I had another SAD meal so it is a Blueberry Day. We were away from the house today and the place we ate lunch didn't have salads nor anything else that would be a good choice for an E2Ler. So $4.00 + $2.50 = Tab $6.50 (my highest yet) Tomorrow will be a better day. I've made my mind up.
I'm going to continue with some more of the benefits I've had "Eating To Live". My hopes are that some of you reading this may be encouraged by what I write.
I think I wrote about the excruciating headaches I have each and every day. They are not migranes and I don't believe they are sinus headaches. At least they don't feel like the sinus headaches I get periodically. These headaches are on the right side at the temple area and above the ear and go behind the ear. Whatever kind of headache it is, it causes so much pain. I took Relafin for awhile and when Dr. Fuhrman said that you need to be off medications to be able to fast, I made the hard decision to try to endure the pain without the Relafin.
Around that same time that Dr. Fuhrman said I needed to be off medicines, I had my Relafin refilled and they gave me this long list attached to my perscription of all the side effects of NSAIDS. So that helped me to make the decision to go off of the Relafin and bear the pain as well as I possibly could. Well the pain was absolutely awful. It was so difficult to not take something to help lessen the pain. It was so overwelming to continue to endure each and every day without something to ease the pain! The Lord helped me day by day to continue without the help of medication and to carry on with E2L. I don't even remember when I began to feel some ease of pain. I guess it was probably around 4-6 weeks before I noticed that the pain had lessened some. It isn't totally gone yet but it is so much better.
Also what is interesting is that a strange thing happens to me when I eat a non-E2L meal. At least I thought it was strange at first and you may think I'm crazy, but after a day or two if I eat SAD, the pain in my head will get really bad again which encourages me to get back with the program. I may never be able to really go back to eating SAD, not that I want to, but it just goes to show you the tremendous benefits there are from eating a plant based diet. I am probably at the beginning stages in the healing process of getting rid of the headache all together and I keep interferring with the healing by eating a SAD food or a SAD meal. I could kick myself in the seat of the pants!!! So what a great benefit I receive from eating this new, healthy, nutrient rich diet!
Another thing that would happen each day is that my heart would fibrillate. Every single day I experienced pain and fibrillation of the heart. This is caused by the fibromyalgia or I guess I should say it is a symptom of fibromyalgia. If you want to learn more about fibromyalgia, please click here http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_treatment.html. If you can't click, then you can copy and past it in your browser (internet explorer window). Again, I can't remember exactly when I began to feel some relief of the fibrillation but it was at least a month of following E2L that is such a nutrient, plant based diet. The pain is still there and hasn't completely gone but it has lessened quite a bit. I still probably experience pain every week and maybe for a day or two at the most, and that is it. I don't have to put up with the pain every single day like I was. How wonderful is that! ;-)
And then there was pain I use to have in my left arm along with numbness and tingling. I thought it was totally gone because I experience pain and numbness so infrequently now, but it has almost disappeared. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have so many things disappearing from sight or almost gone! It is just so exciting for me. I also had pain in the back of my thighs that use to cause pain every single day. Especially as I sat in the car or on a couch without the benefit of being able to raise my legs and rest them on a foot stool. I can't remember the last time I felt pain there.
Another great joy in my life from eating so healthy is that the HOT FLASHES are almost extinct. If I drink too much caffiene, I have noticed that they will return but as long as I am careful and only drink decaf coffee every once in awhile, I don't experience the hot flashes anymore. I am talking about serious hot flashes too. I am drenched and dripping with water when I experience one. In the evening when I lay in bed, trying to fall asleep, I play the covers on, covers off game, (reminds me on wax on, wax off if you've seen the "Karate Kid" movies ;-) all night long. And during the day I'd be drinking ice cold water all day and place the ice to my face while trying to find the coolest room or find the coolest vent to get under. My poor husband had to put up with a colder house because of me and he was so sweet about it too. There was always this weird feeling at the pit of my stomach every time a hot flash came upon me. I guess you just need to experience it to know what it felt like because it is hard to describe. I guess the closest thing to it would be an anxious feeling. Ahhhhh, what a relief to have that gone as well.
It's about that time again, it is getting late again so I guess I'll continue with more later. I just want to encourage anyone who has some health issues to consider "Eat To Live". I'm not going to lie and say it is easy. For some it may be easier if you are already eating lots of fruits and veggies, but I have found that many, when beginning a new way of eating, have had to transition into E2L. For me, I jumped in with both feet and plunged the depths of E2L because my goal is to fast and I had to eat healthy before I could do the fast. So I had great motivation going on in my life.
Even if you don't have health issues, or don't think you have health issues at this time in your life, if you continue to eat the Standard Amercian Diet, chances are your arteries are clogging which causes heart disease. In the China Study, they autopsied some of the most fit and healthy men that were soldiers during the war and found that they had clogged arteries already and these men were in their 20's. I know, I said I was going to bed so I will. Just remember to Eat To Live!!!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Lana,
I can't wait to see you as a Success Story in one of Dr. Fuhrmans Newsletters. Maybe we will even get you on his radio show?!