Tuesday, February 13, 2007

What do I eat for Breakfast


I was just recently asked this question and I am quite a person of habit. When I find something I like, I usually stick with it.
My normal morning meal is simple and easy to prepare. It takes longer to drink it actually than it does to prepare. The picture to the left isn't exactly the color of my morning smoothie but its pretty close. It just depends on how many greens I use and how much strawberries and blueberries are added to it. It is always green in color though, but more of a purplish green I would say.
Here are the contents of my Blended Green Smoothie.
5 oz frozen spinach
3-4 Kale leaves, stems removed
1 cup of frozen strawberries
1 cup of frozen blueberries
1 TB of ground flax seed
1/2 of a frozen banana
1/2 cup of unsweetened soy milk, vanilla flavored
1/2 cup of water or more if needed
I have a vitamix that has a tamper so this is so easy to throw in the blender and blend away and within a couple of minutes I have my breakfast ready. This will make 32 oz and will last me all morning and sometimes into the afternoon.
If you have a regular blender you'll have to blend in stages. I have made this with my vitamix and with a bosch blender and the bosch doesn't make the smoothie smooth and creamy like the vitamix does. I also borrowed a blender from a friend while waiting for my vitamix to arrive and it did a poor job also in comparison. I can't say enough for the vitamix. Its a winner in my book.
There are also some other great combinations and if I don't have kale or spinach I'll use romaine lettuce instead. If you want to try something similar to this you can always experiement and just add a small amount at first to see if you like it and you can always add more the next time. That is what I did because I didn't think I'd like it. I started with romaine lettuce first. After awhile I got brave and used the kale too.
Some days though I just don't feel like a smoothie. So instead of the smoothie I'll make some oatmeal (Quaker Old Fashioned). After I cook this on the stove I'll add one cup of blueberries or other fruit and its delicious. It is quite filling also and will last through the morning. Sometimes I'll add a teas. of date sugar for some added sweetness. You can also add some cinnamon and raisins instead and add some date sugar.
I think those are usually my two choices for breakfast so if you are looking for more variety other than a smoothie and oatmeal, you can find some great recipes at fatfreevegan.com. Also diseaseproof.com has some recipes there too.
I do plan to begin adding more recipes here so please keep checking back. I'll be experimenting more with other recipes for breakfast in the future. I'll also be posting some of my favorite recipes here that I really enjoy the most.
Eat To Live everyone!!!

1 comment:

Barbee' said...

Thank you, Lana, for this post. Just what I was looking for.