Thursday, March 1, 2007

The Verdict is.......

Well I found out what is causing the liver enzyme elevation. They call it fatty liver. The picture to the left is a normal liver and the liver to the right is a fatty liver.

The doctor says to go low fat and low carb and I am already doing that with E2L. So what else can I do? Exercise. I already exercise too, I walk about 3 miles everyday. Maybe I need to attend the gym and do more?

Here is what the mayoclinic online has to say.
Introduction
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) describes a range of conditions involving the liver that affect people who drink little or no alcohol.
The mildest type is simple fatty liver (steatosis), an accumulation of fat within your liver that usually causes no liver damage. A potentially more serious type, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), is associated with liver-damaging inflammation and, sometimes, the formation of fibrous tissue. In some cases, this can progress either to cirrhosis, which can produce progressive, irreversible liver scarring, or to liver cancer.
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease affects all age groups, including children. Most often, it's diagnosed in middle-aged people who are overweight or obese, and who may also have diabetes and elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
With the increasing incidence of obesity and diabetes in Western countries, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease has become a growing problem. Although its true prevalence is unknown, some estimates suggest it may affect as many as one-third of American adults.
Because early-stage nonalcoholic fatty liver disease rarely causes any symptoms, it's often detected because of abnormal results of liver tests done for unrelated issues. Treatments for nonalcoholic fatty liver disease include weight loss, exercise, improved diabetes control and the use of cholesterol-lowering medications.
I am to see the doctor in 2 months after I have the liver enzymes checked again. So I am going to do E2L 100% and be really careful with potatoes and bread, although I don't normally eat these foods anyway. Maybe I'll join a gym and do what I can there. I have fibromyalgia so I'm not sure I'll be able to do an arobics routine but I may give it a try. I want to be healthy and I'll do what I can to be so. I am also awaiting Dr. Fuhrman to answer my "ask the doctor" question at the membership forum. I want to fast but need to make sure he thinks its okay.
At least I finally know why the enzymes were elevated. All the blood work came out okay, except the liver enzymes. I was either within range or the results were negative so the doctor's prognosis is based on the ultrasound that showed a fatty liver and the elevated liver enzymes.
So strict eating is in order along with maybe some added exercise. I'll let you know what happens in 2 months when I have some more bloodwork done. Eat To Live everyone!!!

4 comments:

Just call me Orangie said...

Oh I'm so sorry! I'v ehad about 4 cats with fatty liver before. May I ask what you symtoms were? I saw your old post about your sonogram, and I had one of those too (they're kinda cool?), because of bad stomach problems, and they still can't figure out whats wrong with me :(

Anonymous said...

Hi, I know its silly to ask, but do you have any Olive Oil in your diet, if so how much? Because I follow the Eat to live diet, but my only weakness is some olive oil with my salad dressings !!!

Lana said...

Hi Orange,
The only symptoms I had were elevated liver enzymes. I hope they find out what is causing your stomach upsets. In the bible, Paul told Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach problems so maybe that would help since the doctors can't figure it out.

Hi Anonymous
No I don't eat any oil. I have it for my husband who is non-E2L and so I use it for him sometimes. Have you tried to make any of the dressings that Susan has at fatfreevegan.com? Also Dr. Fuhrman has a few recipes at diseaseproof.com. The problem with olive oil is that there are little nutriets because it is a processed food and also there are so many calories for little nutrition. Every once in awhile I've put a drop in my pan and wiped it with a paper towel to spread it before sauting veggies. I think that is the only time I've used it and if I eat out, sometimes I have hummus at a local restaurant and they have olive oil in the hummus. So if you eat it once in awhile I'm sure that's okay but if you eat the olive oil daily, it could cause the weight loss to stop. How much are you using?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply, I will be sure to stop at your blog regularly, I am enjoying reading your posts. About the olive oil, I use half a tea spoon daily, and I have lost weight, I have 2weeks left of my 6week detox phase, so I will skip the olive oil, but I think later I may have the haf teaspoon when necessary for cooking.